There are no details that have been released as of yet but there are online “bytes” that the following factors might play an increasing role in Google’s next index:
- Your website speed: slow loading websites may suffer by not getting high rankings on Google, this has been rumoured for some time and does make a lot of sense, a sort of bad site cull if you will.
- Existing Broken links: broken links are a bugbear anyway and should not exist, this might have a negative impact of the position but should be cleaned up as a matter of course anyway, especially prevalent with re-edited and redesigned sites using existing type with embedded links.
- Links with Bad neighbourhoods: Linking with spammers is not great for your rankings in Google’s already. This will get increasingly worse so pay attention to who you are linking with, We get emailed daily with link requests which go straight in the trash, relevant links form non-spammers only, stick to who you know.
- The build quality of your website: Google’s new setup will take a closer look at the overall quality of your site, this is pretty obvious when you take into account all current factors, the better the build the better the crawl, the better the crawl the better the position, clean your code.
- Remove all spam elements from your web pages.
- Check and clean up your website design and the navigation.
- Get links from social bookmark websites, these are becoming increasingly important, keep your staff sweet and get them to link in too.
- Check your links, remove all outbound links to any site you think may be spammers or unsavoury, if your not sure, remove!